June 2, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend Fun

Ryan receiving his latest medal
I was extremely lucky to be able to visit Ryan in Oklahoma for Memorial Day weekend.  His parents kept both kids for almost 6 days so we could spend some one on one time together.  We splurged and got a killer deal for the Skirvin Hilton Hotel in downtown OKC.  It was the Skirvin Hotel back in the 1930s and 1940s, with very detail woodwork in the lobby.  Classic architecture has stood the test of time and the hotel stands out beautifully against the stark modern buildings nearby.  I was also lucky to witness Ryan getting his latest medal.  Can't remember what it was for but he definitely deserved it! Ironically, all the guys receiving the metal are married and I'm the only wife that could show up, the one who lives out of town (but I also didn't have any kids to tote around either).

After the award ceremony, we headed up to OKC and took an unexpected nap before heading out to Mantel's in Bricktown.  It was by far our priciest meal but worth every penny.  Ryan's pork, seasoned potatoes and asparagus melted in our mouths.  We could taste the smokey bacon in my tortellini and ate every bite.  Yes, we crazy love birds fed each other our meals and it was wonderful! Then we strolled around Bricktown before making a stop in Bass Pro Shop! Awesome store even if you don't purchase anything!
We met up with great friends on Friday, the Thomas Family and the Ritchey Family.  Both were traveling up to Tulsa for the weekend and stopped in to say hi in the city. The Thomas family met us at Toby Keith's Bar and Grill, allowing us to check off another eatery off our list.  It was great to see them and their wonderful daughter's one last time. FYI: the restaurant offers a one time deal to military members with an ID for a free meal...cheeseburger, fries and a pop!
After lunch with the Thomas Family, we walked all the way over to the OKC Bombing Memorial.  It is by far the best memorial outside of Washington D.C. I have ever seen.  The reflecting pool is flanked by two huge iron gates marked with 9:01 and 9:03, forever indicating the time when the city was changed forever, 9:02am on April 19, 1995.  I was in 5th grade, living in TX at the time, and remember seeing the destroyed building on the news.  Not quite understanding the full magnitude of the event when it happened, it is wonderful to come and walk through such a beautiful memorial.  The chairs behind us in the above picture represent every person who died in the bombing.  There are nine rows for the nine different floors of the building and behind the chairs, the wall is actually the back of the first floor of the building. You can see the destruction on the concreat even after all these years.

Friday night we met the Ritchey Family for dinner at the Bricktown Brewery.  Again, it was great to see such awesome friends before leaving the area for good.  Then we headed to the ball park to take in the Big 12 College Baseball tournament.  Oklahoma University played Kansas State University and even though they lost the game was great.  The ump made horrible calls against us (OU) and it was fun booing the ump and cheering on our team!!
Friday was by far our busiest day.  Saturday we headed down to Lawton to hang out with the Ross Family and BBQ.  It was great just to relax and hold their new baby girl (who's 4 months old but still a snuggler).  I even made homemade chocolate covered strawberry's, something I will be doing again in the near future.

Sunday we did absolutely nothing.  The wind was kicking up all weekend and walking around downtown and Bricktown became quite difficult. We were literally getting blown over!  After lunch we headed to the Myraid Gardens, which was a bit of a disappointment due to the fact they just finished construction and everything was still growing.  Not many blooming flowers, and we weren't about to pay $6/person to walk through the Crystal Bridge containing flora from around the world.  It would be our luck to see a tree or bush from Thailand or Japan, places Ryan got to see for free! Between naps, we even saw the finish to the Indy 500. We both feel bad for the Rookie who almost won!!

I left on the first flight Monday morning and dreaded leaving Ryan back in OK but knew my babies needed me.  Olivia met me at the airport which was a complete and awesome surprise.  I enjoyed my time with Ryan, a much needed vacation, but missed my kids more than I thought.  It was great to have them back in my arms!
Found this at 5:30am.  Put money in and the gate opens!

No comments: