January 23, 2011

Polar Bear Plunge & 5K


This past Saturday, I got the privilege to run my first race without the Kiddos!  MWR sponsored the Polar Bear Plunge and 5K.  It was bitterly cold when I left the house and on the 30 min or so drive to the lake for the run, the temperature dropped 17* but thankfully warmed up a bit again.




 So happy to see Ryan and kids at the finish line for me. Although, I was told Olivia got super exited for Elmo and Cookie monster who finished just minutes before me, but she still waved and smiled when I rounded the corner!

 Not bad for no real training and the last 5K I ran was the Devil Dog Run back in September.  It was a nice little course, no time chips, so we just ran 1.5 miles out then made a quick U-turn.  There were hills which weren't a problem but the banking the curves took was killer on my knees and ankles.  Not to mention the fact I need new running shoes, which I have, but never ran with so I didn't want to start out racing with brand new shoes.  I really enjoyed the run and even though I finished faster than I thought I would, I still want to do better!!! Go figure, right?

Ryan took the kids back to the house and I stuck around for the door prizes, which I didn't win, and to witness the crazy people plunging into the lake.  I knew if I went into the lake I'd get sick so I just kept as warm as possible on the beach.

1 comment:

The Whitefields said...

Awesome! How fun! I'm surprised Ryan didn't run also and then jump in...he's the adventurous guy, right?! I think I would have been tempted too, maybe before Audrey, because being sick with small children is no fun at all. So you made the wise decision.